Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills and Westlake Village, CA
Temporomandibular joint disorder, often referred to as TMJ or TMD, is a disorder that occurs when the temporomandibular joint falls into dysfunction.
Symptoms of TMJ
TMJ can cause, among other things, debilitating pain. This pain may manifest itself in a variety of ways. Any combination of these symptoms may mean you suffer from TMJ:
- Regularly occurring headaches of migraine-like intensity
- Loose, worn, chipped or cracked teeth
- Dental restorations that are cracked, broken or chipped
- Jaw pain or soreness around the jaw joints
- Pain in teeth especially if it seems to migrate
- Facial, neck, shoulder or back pain
- Numbness in extremities
- Congested or stuffy ears
- Clicking or grating sounds in the jaw, as well as locked jaw or limited jaw movement
- Feelings of vertigo
What causes TMJ?
TMJ can occur from an injury sustained from a blow or impact to the jaw, the muscles of the head and neck, or the temporomandibular joint itself.
Other causes can include the following:
- Teeth grinding
- Arthritis in the temporomandibular joint
- A dislocation of the disc between the ball and socket of the temporomandibular join
Diagnosis and treatment of TMJ
No medical professional is better equipped to diagnose TMJ or treat its symptoms than a neuromuscular dentist, like the ones on staff at The Connection.
If we find that you suffer from TMJ, then The Connection custom design a mandibular advancement device to treat the cause of your symptoms, not just mask your pain. This device is an oral appliance that will bring your teeth and jaw back into proper alignment and resolve any existing symptoms—even pain of the most severe types.
If you suffer from any of the symptoms listed above, or you have been diagnosed with TMJ by another medical professional, call The Connection at our office in Agoura Hills, CA at (805) 380-6169 to schedule a consultation.
The Connection provides oral health care with a holistic approach for patients in the Agoura Hills and Westlake Village communities of southern California.
To learn more about our TMJ specialist, Dr Kathleen Carson, please click here to see all of the extensive education she has to make this the right choice….